Its that time of year…the time to celebrate Cupid & love 🙂 I tried this cupcake recipe and it is my all time new favorite. However, it is really sugary and so if you are watching your waist line this one probably isn’t the best.
Yield: About 18 cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup pureed frozen strawberries (about 1/4 of a 1 pound bag)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup milk
- several drops of red/pink food coloring or gel paste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 18 cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer to blend the butter with the strawberry puree. Add the flour mixture and blend until light and fluffy (the batter will be very thick).
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk and dye. Add whites in three parts to the batter mixture, mixing only until incorporated after each addition.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Easy Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Yield: About 3 cups.